GELMAC (Pregelatinized Maize Starch)
Pregelatinized maize starch is derived from starch by applying certain energies by which the starch gets gelatinized partially. Partially Pregelatinized starch has only been partly cooked during manufacture and therefore contains some original starch grains. It is therefore suitable as a multifunctional excipient (filler – binder – disintegrant) in both direct compression and wet granulation. Pregelatinized maize starch has number of properties such as, a binder, disintegrant, lubricant and flow-aid. It is used in direct compression tablet formulations, wet granulations and capsule formulations.
Pregelatinized starch occurs as a moderately coarse to fine, white to off-white colored powder. It is odorless and has a slight characteristic taste. Pregelatinized starch is a stable but hygroscopic material, which should be stored in a well-closed container in a cool, dry place.
- Combines several properties of the excipients in a single product.
- Performs the multiple functions of a binder, disintegrant, flow aid and while being versatile.
Applications of the Product
- Used in pharma industry as binder, disintegrant.
- Instant puddings, pie fillings, soup mixes, salad dressings and candy often contain pregelatinized starch.
- Used in oil well drilling in large volumes.
- Used in the food manufacturing industry for processing and as food thickeners or stabilizers.